Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Top 10 Best Anime That I Watched in 2014


Top 10 Best Anime That I Watched in 2014

Warning: The following list may contain spoilers. If you wish not to know some events in the story, or simply don't wish to find out what happens in the series, please leave the page, since I don't want to damage a watching experience for you.

Also, keep in mind that the pictures I use in special posts are chosen at random. Rainbow Dash's classic wub face is literally the face that screams that this moment is super awesome, such as the anime on this list.

These animes are my personal favorites of 2014, and like my top 10 openings, won't be specifically ranked.

With that said:

Anime is easily one of my favorite sources of entertainment. It provides great stories, amazing characters, overall elements of fun, and are good comforts for stormy weather and snow days. I think this year was the one in which anime became another part of my life. It has made me come out of my shell a little more, and I can have more conversations with people about the topic of dubs, as well as own opinions.

Plus, anime has given me this:



Plus this:



Let's not forget her:



Or him:



So, to put it briefly:

But enough about me fangirling about favorite anime characters and stuff like that. It's time to get down with the real meaning of this list, being my top 10 favorite anime of this year.

And to be honest, this is really hard to come up with. Not only did I watch a ton of great anime this year, but I have to mention ten anime that was memorable enough to end up on this list. i can see the honorable mentions now, there's going to be a ton.

Why don't we start off with a show that's more recent? Let's begin:


#1


Gugure Kokkuri-san.

Being a more recent show and knowing that I'm a sucker for comedies, this show was right up my alley. At first glance, I could truly see Kamisama Kiss vibes all over again, and this just feels like a series that is mainly targeted for the same audience.

This show is easily one of my favorites of all time. It has great comedy, very good characters, and just simply has antics everywhere. 

I literally have nothing wrong with this show, as it is pure perfection. All I need is another season or an OVA , because I need more of this great cast. I DON'T WANT THIS TO BE OVER! 

I think I now have an idea of what review I should do first after this list is complete. *coughs*

#2



Kamigami No Asobi.

This was my first reverse harem show, so it was always leave a place in my heart for that. Secondly, I just find that this show has a lot of potential and uses it rather well.

Yui isn't like all of the Mary Sues and generic reverse harem leads out there. She actually has personality, and isn't stereotypical. All of the guys manage to get development at some point in the story. Some a bit better than others, but it's at least something hopeful.

By reverse harem standards, this actually fared really well. Some of it was rather hot, let's be honest. THE GUYS! *sighs*

Opps, I'm getting distracted. Moving on:

#3


Wizard Barristers.

I'm not sure a lot of people liked this show as much as I did, as I have seen some reviewers who weren't really impressed. In my opinion, this anime did a great job at keeping me interested, and did have a unique premise.

The elements of this anime are done well, with the main concept being magic. The people who are suspected of being criminals, as well as events that later unfold in the second half are what make this show very entertaining. Episode 4 is by far one of my favorite episodes of the series, and shows no shame of giving tons in intensity.

From the director of Kite, I was concerned to start this show due to Cecil looking like Sawa, along with personal taste. However, considering I like YA science fiction (well, mainly dystopian), I can say this worked rather well for me.

#4


DRAMAtical Murder.

I'm also in the minority of opinions on this show. XD Fans of the game just didn't really like this, and although I wasn't very familiar with the game, I knew it was yaoi, and I have a weakness for that. so I went in anyway.

The story did take a while to build up, but I liked how later on we were able to focus on each love interest. Mink's episode was the worst, but I loved Noiz's one, since he is my favorite character. :3

I also liked the setting for the anime, and that Platinum Jail wasn't as promising as it seemed. While I did have some problems with it, such as the main villain and the horrid first airing of Episode 3, I still find this one of the better anime of this year, and one of the most memorable.

Now, I just need to watch the OVA, which sounds depressing, but also sounds awesome. And perhaps I'll give the Togainu No Chi's anime adaption a chance, even though I've heard it's also s**t.

#5


The first 20 episodes of Bleach, plus 4 filler episodes. I should also discuss the second movie The DiamondDust Rebellion, and The Sealed Sword Frenzy slightly as well.

I think nearly everyone is scared to start a long-running shonen series. So many episodes to watch, and there's some people who aren't even up for the challenge. To be honest, this is really the main shonen show out of the Big Three that interested me, since I'm not sitting through One Piece unless someone ties me down to a chair. Naruto is also fine, but I don't think it has as much of a interesting plot as Bleach does.

The massive animation inconsistencies is kind of what drags Bleach down a bit for me. But I do really like the characters, and I'm excited to see what happens in the Soul Society arc in the anime. Though I'm up to the point past Toshiro and Gin's fight in the manga, It looks better in the anime, I swear. More action, and just more swoon.

It's obvious who my favorite character is, there's no use denying from me.

The Sealed Sword Frenzy OVA was a tad bit rushed in the plot department, but I enjoyed almost every minutes of it. Great comedy abounds!



The second movie was very interesting. I mainly watched it due to the storyline focusing on Toshiro (giggles), but I was also interested in seeing how the plot was paced out, and in our villain. Good news, the movie was incredibly enjoyable!

There wasn't a ton of plot holes, though Ichigo asked Rukia what an execution is, which is a big screen-writer fail. Ichigo should know what an execution is, he rescued Rukia from one. Don't forget!

And there was also some slight animation errors, though it wasn't as much as the show's first 20 episodes. Becuase the mismatched eyebrows. *cringes*


I feel like I should do an in-depth review on the OVA, and the movie. On the bright side, I got the first two movies in the double feature set, so I'm going to be watching the first movie really soon. I hope it's just as good, or even better than the second.


#6


Bladedance of the Elementalers.

This was my first show that was animated by TNK, and it strayed away from the style of Highschool DXD. It also managed to be more tame, and not as extravagant in its fanservice.

Though it had one of the worst anime villains, I found this series to be a bit better than Highschool DXD. Most of the characters had at least something special about them, and they also try to give them equal development, though some less than others. I also found the storyline entertaining and each episode was fun to watch.

I still think we need a second season, as the Bladedance is just getting started. But let's see what the creators of the anime adaption do with it.


#7



Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun.

This show is probably the cutest anime that I've seen this year. There was a lot of potential couples in this anime. I would add them in shippings, where there's oh so many couples that I ship, but the chemistry.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*breathes* Sorry about that.

Though it may annoy some fans who don't like slice-of-life set-ups, I recommend this show to everyone. Not only may it teach you more about the world of manga, but you may also come out liking most of the characters. The events feel real, and there's nothing too extravagant.

Plus, there's great comedy. I couldn't believe how many episodes had me laughing super hard.

#8


Kamisama Kiss.

My first shojo show, and this will always remain as one of my favorites. When I think back to this show, I can't help but swoon. And when I mean swoon, I do mean swoon.

*sighs* This show is just too cute.

From a unique story, to lovable characters, and a lot of things in between. This is really one of those shows that you can't really help but like.

I just have a lot of feelings toward this show, and I'm SUPER EXCITED for season 2. IT'S ONLY A COUPLE OF DAYS AWAY AUGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9


The Devil is a Part Timer.

Hands down, this is my favorite show of the year. Not only does it have superior comedy, but the story is just so funny, yet really awesome. How would you feel if you were Satan and had to work at McDonalds until you had enough money?

The characters are also quite unique, and most of them are from Ente Isla. I felt connected to most of them, and enjoyed this show to death. There's a reason why I watched this in Japanese, and then re-watched it in English with a friend. This show was amazing, and it was really special to watch it in both dub and sub.

Overall, this is highly recommended. 

Before we go to #10, here are some honorable mentions to shows I also loved, liked, or thought were good this year:

Honorable Mentions:

Blood Lad

Highschool DXD

Haganai Next

D-Frag

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko

Jormungand

Black Butler: Book Of Circus

Madan no Ou to Vanadis

Nyan Koi

Noucome

Sekirei

#10


Karneval.

Like the Highschool DXD opening, there's a reason why I saved to talk about it for last. This was the show that got me massively watching shows like I do now, though Black Butler got me into watching shows by myself.

If the show was bad, it would have affected me of course. But in the end, I really enjoyed this show. I loved learning about the rival organizations, and all of the main characters were very interesting. The plot moved well, and the goal that Nai wanted was accomplished at the end of the series.

I'm really excited for the manga to hit the U.S., and I hope this show gets a second season. We need to have some more development.

And that's all folks. What did you guys think of the list? Did you agree? Disagree? What were some of your favorite animes of this year?

I wish everyone a happy new year! I know how I'm going to spend mine. Editing ANTM, Watching the first movie of Bleach, and dancing.





No comments:

Post a Comment